True Gospel Baptist Church
True Gospel Baptist Church
Most would answer, “I hope so,” or “I think so. I try to be a good person.” Okay, well let’s look at some of God’s standards of what is right and wrong. Here are a few of the 10 commandments and let’s see if we please God and if we can be “good enough” to go to heaven.
• Exodus 20:7, “Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain…” Have you ever taken the Lord’s name in vain? If you have, then you are a blasphemer.
• Exodus 20:12, “Honour thy father and thy mother…” Have you ever disobeyed your parents or been disrespectful to them? If so, then you are guilty before God as a rebellious child.
• Exodus 20:14, “Thou shalt not commit adultery.” Have you ever committed adultery? This is not only physically but also in your thoughts. Remember God holds to a higher standard than man. Matthew 5:28, “But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.”
• Exodus 20:15, “Thou shalt not steal.” If you have ever stolen anything (even if it is just a piece of gum), you are a thief and guilty before God.
• Exodus 20:16, “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” This is lying. Have you ever lied to anyone about anything? Most of us have at some point in our life, and thus we are a liar. So far, we have shared with you 5 out of the 10 commandments. Now, I ask you would you be found guilty before God on judgment day as a liar, thief, adulterer, and blasphemer at heart? Whether we are guilty of one of these or all of these, we are ALL sinners before a Holy God. James 2:10, “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.” Romans 3:23, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” Romans 6:23 states, “For the wages of sin is death.”
BUT THERE IS HOPE...
THE BIBLE SAYS YOU CAN KNOW WHERE YOU WILL SPEND ETERNITY: 1 JOHN 5:13 "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." Jesus is God.
GOD MADE A WAY UNTO SALVATION AND HEAVEN: ROMANS 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." ROMANS 5:8, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
YOU MUST BE CONVICTED OF YOUR SINS, ACCEPT THAT YOU ARE A SINNER, BELIEVE ON THE LORD, JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOUR, CONFESS THAT HE IS LORD, AND REPENT OF YOUR SINS (TURN AWAY FROM THEM). ROMANS 10:9-11, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. "
A WORD ABOUT REPENTANCE: The Bible says in ACTS 3:19, "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord." Many have merely repeated the “sinner’s prayer” and claimed salvation and yet never had a repentant heart and were just uttering a prayer. According to the Bible, these people are still lost and without hope. Jesus said, “…except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” LUKE 13:3,5 The Bible says, “…Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit…” EZEKIEL 18: 30-31 When we are saved, we must not only be sorry for our sins but also be willing to totally turn away from those sins and follow Christ. II CORINTHIANS 6:2 says, "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." Take God at HIS word and claim HIS promise for your salvation. We would love to see you in Heaven!